From the series, “Restoring the Joy”
“Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.”
A little levity to start your day…
A retired man volunteered to entertain the patients in the hospital. He took along his portable keyboard, told some jokes, and sang some funny songs. When he finished he said, in farewell, “I hope you get better.”
One elderly gentleman replied, “I hope you get better, too.
Let’s introduce today’s study with a TRUE illustration from the world of professional golf. A number of years ago an amazing thing happened at a golf tournament. No – someone didn’t shoot 18 holes in one. No – someone didn’t break the tournament record by a zillion shots.
BUT 2 players were penalized 2 shots each for…playing too slowly! Can you imagine?
But, do we charge God with the same violation? “God, you are going too slow in my life.”
I WANT…I NEED…NOW!!!
We who profess to love the Lord Jesus as Savior are most fortunate to have as a guide for our lives the amazing chapter of Psalm 37.
Remember our theme verse? The joy of our salvation restored!
Our theme verse for this series is Psalm 51:12:
“Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.”
Restoring the JOY!
When we first came to know the Lord Jesus as Savior everything became new. BUT then the world has a way to squeeze us into its mold.
The psalmist says:
FRET NOT – don’t fume over circumstances or people. Rather, look to the Lord not on the trial.
TRUST – have a security, a confidence, which can only have its foundation in the Lord.
Today’s 2 Dimensional focus is DELIGHT and DESIRE.
Let’s look at TWO KEY THOUGHTS:
First, “GOD IS WORKING ON A GREAT SCALE, AND WILL NOT BE HURRIED BY US.”
The point is this: We need to have a vision, a focus, on the big picture of God’s plan for eternity. Today. This morning. Now. God is making eternal plans in each of your hearts! In my heart! How we willingly respond to His plans will be a big step toward restoring and maintaining our joy in Christ.
Second, “IF WE DELIGHT IN WHAT HE DELIGHTS IN, THEN HIS DESIRES WILL BECOME OUR DESIRES!”
“DELIGHT”: “a delicate, fragile emotion; to bend an entire will towards an object or person”
“DESIRE”: “secret petitions, requests, known only to yourself “I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart.”and God!”
It was said of the great architect of the Reformation, Martin Luther, that he could ask God for anything he wanted, and it was granted.
WHY? Because he understood the 2 key thoughts.
#1: “GOD IS WORKING ON A GREAT SCALE, AND WILL NOT BE HURRIED BY US.”
#2: “IF WE DELIGHT IN WHAT HE DELIGHTS IN, THEN HIS DESIRES WILL BECOME OUR DESIRES!”
The RESULT will be that our joy will be full.
The REALITY will be that our lives will be lived in His presence on earth so that Heaven will simply be a continuation of what we enjoy now! But if we don’t enjoy Him now, how can we enjoy Him face to face?
In order to DELIGHT in what God DELIGHTS in, we must first discover what God DELIGHTS in!
* YOUR WILL: “I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart.” Psalm 40:8
* YOUR TESTIMONIES: “Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors.” Psalm 119:24
* YOUR DEALINGS: “…those who deal truthfully are His delight.” Prov. 12:22b
* YOUR OBEDIENCE: “Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord?” 1 Sam. 15:22a
* YOUR LOVINGKINDNESS: “But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight,” says the Lord.” Jer. 9:24
* YOUR WORSHIP: “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on My holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy day of the Lord honorable, and shall honor Him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words, then you shall delight yourself in the Lord…”
* YOUR COMMUNION: “The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord,But the prayer of the upright is His delight.” Prov. 15:8
God’s will, His testimonies, and His day can be our DELIGHT
because He is our DELIGHT.
We enjoy Him as if He is all we have!
Is He your DELIGHT?
Is He your DESIRE?
Is He your DELICACY?